Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Interactive Device















My favorite interactive device at the moment is my brand spankin' new Wacom Intuous 3 tablet. I had a smaller, much more basic model prior to receiving this one as a gift very recently and despite the fact that I haven't even come close to figuring out all its features, I've already been reaping the benefits. Some of the things I love about it so far are:
1. The fluidity of the pen's movement and the fact that the pen tip doesn't actually have to be touching the tablet inorder for you to navigate across the screen.
2. The programmable button on the side of the pen, conveniently located right under where your index finger would be, which can be programmed to activate any 2 actions from a given list. I've programmed mine to serve the same action as the right click on a mouse, and to bring up a popup menu which allows you to switch between "pen" and "mouse" mode
3. The fact that I can use the pen with my left-hand (I'm a lefty) and therefore gain more accurate movement than with a mouse, which I use with my right hand (thanks to right-handed conditioning)
4. The fact that both the mouse and the pen are battery-free and wireless.
5. The pen's pressure sensitivity which is fantastic when using it to draw in Photoshop

What I DON'T like so far:
1. The mouse doesn't seem to have the same fluidity as the pen
2. The programmable buttons on the tablet are too numerous to remember what they're there for. Maybe if each button had a little LED screen which would display its action depending on how the user programs them, then it would be easier to remember which button does what.

I have yet to actually pull out the user manual for this thing so I'm sure that once I've read up on all the things this device can do and how to go about doing it, I'll be even more happy about the fact that I have it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home